Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hotel Workers - victims of a Fuedal Empire

A recent Wall Street Journal article, and length one at that, outlined a lawsuit and an effort of the lowest paid hotel employees to unionize to upgrade their working conditions in their industry.
     Hotel workers aree behind the scenes, not often seen by the guest: dish washers laundry, mechanics, garden staff, pool maintenance, bar tenders, - I could bore one with the list. The larger the hotel or resort, the staff list grows.
     As I have said, Hospitality is the last feudal management system left in this modern day chauvanistic free-enterprise system. What the General Manager says, is law. Sure, there are federal, state and local laws, but I assure you,  they are cleverly broken, every day, in practically every lodging establishment in America by every titular head of the house.
     And, cleverly, too. I've seen it, heard it, been in the room, participated in Board meetings, watched it happen. As a former hotel and resort General Manager I never participated in any such nonsense, cooperated fully with my various staffs and enjoyed a wonderful working relations while I worked ALONGSIDE them during their various jobs.
     I hope and pray their hotel workers, the minimum wage job holders in that industry are successful in gaining a foot hold in struggle for recognition, fair play, fair PAY, and better working condition because they are NOT getting it now.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment