Sunday, April 10, 2011

Salary Negotiations - FOR THE NEW SALES HIRE

No matter what anyone tells you, the General Manager sets the salary. You hear differently, they lie.
    If anyone in the hiring process every says, during the intial talk - " this is what the job pays, " $ X dollars a month! That's it, no more." You, then, have three choices:
  • If you're starving, accept the inevitable, go through with the interview, tell the jerk what he needs to hear to get your next job, and keep looking while you work for him, or,
  • Nrgotiate with him by saying, "Ok, then this is the highest goal I will aceept based on your highest salary offered, - $ X, thousands of dollars of room revenue per year, no more." Or,
  • Get up, smile nicely, shake the dummy's hand and tell him as you exit professionally that the interview's is over that the low salary indicates a lack of commitment on the part of hotel, and, when the GM decides that someday, if he does, - call YOU.
  • Then leave. If he's smart, you won't make the door.
  • If you make it to the street, you shouldn't work there anyway.
My experience: I made it all the way to the rear door of the cab, followed by the Vice President who offered me the job. I accepted it in the back seat. He told me to start the moment my planed arrived back in my home city. I got what I wanted in salary.

Years later, in that same hotel, as General Manager, I won an award from the chain's VP as the third most improved in the entire chain for revenue improvement - in the entire US, and the franchise net profit champ.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment